Accredited Universities in Ghana: Check Now
Accredited Universities in Ghana: In this compilation, we unveil an extensive overview of esteemed educational institutions nestled in Ghana, with a particular emphasis on universities across the nation.
Within this list, we highlight colleges and universities that have earned recognition as authorized and degree-granting establishments operating at the tertiary level.
It’s worth noting that some smaller universities, often of the private variety, maintain affiliations with more established public institutions and frequently carry the designation of “university college.” Institutions that encompass colleges within the university structure are categorized as “university colleges.”
Additionally, we encompass the country’s “polytechnics” in this comprehensive inventory.
The Dynamic Educational Landscape of Ghana: An Abundance of Choices
Ghana proudly boasts a diverse educational landscape, which includes local branches of international universities and institutions that offer courses for students who engage in examinations through the distance-education centers affiliated with larger Ghanaian universities.
Importantly, all these universities and colleges have received accreditation from the Ghana Tertiary Education Commission.
A Rundown of Accredited Universities in Ghana
Public Universities: A Treasure Trove of Educational Opportunities
- University of Ghana (Legon): Established in 1948, this institution sprawls across multiple locations in Greater Accra, offering a diverse array of courses to approximately 38,000 undergraduate students.
- Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST): Founded in 1952 in Kumasi, this university empowers over 23,500 students across various academic disciplines.
- University of Cape Coast (Cape Vars): Since 1961, it has been nurturing around 15,835 students in Cape Coast, Central.
- CK Tedam University for Technology and Applied Sciences (CKT-UTAS): Pioneered in 2020 in Navrongo, Upper East, it pioneers distinctive educational opportunities.
- University of Education, Winneba (UEW): Since 1992, it has emerged as a pivotal educational hub for 16,879 students in Winneba, Central.
- Simon Diedong Dombo University for Business and Integrated Development Studies (SDD-UBIDS): Ignited in 2020 in Wa, Upper West, it promises a transformative learning experience.
- University of Health and Allied Sciences: It was established in 2012. This Prestigeous Institution was established to focus on training health professionals.
- The University of Energy and Natural Rsources: The University of Energy and Natural Resources (UENR) was established by an Act of Parliament, Act 830, 2011 on December 31, 2011. The University is a public funded national institution which seeks to provide leadership and management of energy and natural resources and be a centre of excellence in these critical areas. The University approaches its programmes and research emphasizing interdisciplinary collaboration and taking into account, areas such as economics, law and policy, management, science, technology and engineering as well as social and political issues affecting energy and natural resources.
- Accra Technical University (ATU): Located in Accra, Greater Accra, it serves as a dynamic source of technical education.
- Bolgatanga Technical University (BTU): Nestled in Bolgatanga, Upper East Region, it fosters the development of technical skills.
- Cape Coast Technical University (CCTU): Nestled in Cape Coast, Central, it opens doors to promising technical education opportunities.
- Kumasi Technical University (KsTU): Rooted in Kumasi, Ashanti, it elevates the prospects for technical education.
- Koforidua Technical University (KTU): Strategically positioned in Koforidua, Eastern, it propels the growth of technical education.
- Tamale Technical University (TATU): Anchored in Tamale, Northern, it serves as a pivotal hub for technical education.
- Ho Technical University (HTU): Enriching Ho, Volta, it plays a central role in the realm of technical education.
- Takoradi Technical University (TTU): Thriving in Takoradi, Western, it plays a pivotal role in nurturing technical skills.
- Sunyani Technical University (STU): Located in Sunyani, Bono, it cultivates technical education with zeal.
- Wa Technical University (WTU): Rooted in Wa, Upper West Region, it provides avenues for the pursuit of technical education.
Regional University: Regional Maritime University (RMU)
Launched in 2007 in Accra, Greater Accra, this institution dedicates itself to excellence in maritime education.
Diplomatic Missions Training University: Consular & Diplomatic Service University (CDSU)
Established in 2017 in Accra, Greater Accra, and affiliated with the United Nations University, this university specializes in the dynamic world of diplomatic and consular studies.
- Valley View University (VVU): Thriving since 1979 in Oyibi, Greater Accra, it paves the way for private tertiary education.
- Trinity Theological Seminary, Legon (TTS): Functioning since 1942 in Legon, Greater Accra, it actively fosters theological education.
- Akrofi-Christaller Institute of Theology, Mission and Culture (ACI): Operational since 1987 in Akropong–Akuapem, Eastern, it passionately delves into theology, mission, and culture.
- Central University (Central): Emerging in 1998 in Accra, Greater Accra, it accommodates around 8,400 students engaged in diverse courses.
- Pentecost University (Pent Vars): Established in 2003 in Sowutuom, Greater Accra, it passionately offers various programs.
- All Nations University (ANU): Rising since 2002 in Koforidua, Eastern, it stands as a beacon of educational excellence.
- Ashesi University (Ashesi): Born in 2002 in Berekuso, Eastern Region, it vigorously upholds the standards of quality education.
University Colleges and Private Universities: A Specialized Realm of Education
- Accra Institute of Technology (AIT): Unveiled in 2005 in Cantonments, Greater Accra, it actively offers diverse programs.
- African University College of Communications (AUCC): Nestled in Adabraka, Greater Accra, it passionately specializes in communication studies.
- Anglican University College of Technology (ANG.U.TECH): Established in 2008 in Nkoranza Campus, Nkoranza, Bono East, it zealously champions technology.
- Catholic University College of Ghana (CUG): Since 2003 in Fiapre, Sunyani, Bono, it ardently prioritizes quality education.
- Christian Service University College (CSUC): Serving Kumasi, Ashanti, it has been a stalwart provider of education since 1974.
- Family Health Medical School (FHMS): Launched in 2015 in Teshie, Greater Accra, it steadfastly focuses on medical education.
- Good News Theological Seminary (GNTS): Founded in 1971 in Oyibi, Greater Accra, it actively offers theological education.
- Islamic University College (IUCG): Established in 1988 in East Legon, Greater Accra, it fervently focuses on Islamic studies.
- Knutsford University College (Knutsford): Situated in East Legon, Greater Accra, it passionately provides various educational opportunities.
- Lancaster University (LUG): Born in 2013 in Accra, Greater Accra, it energetically offers diverse programs.
- 11. Methodist University College Ghana (MUCG): Thriving since 2000 in Dansoman, Accra, Greater Accra, it actively educates around 1,887 students.
- Presbyterian University College (PUC): Established in 2003 in various locations, it fervently promotes quality education.
- Wisconsin International University College (WIUC): Launched in 2000 in Agbogba Junction, Greater Accra, it ardently contributes to higher education.
Also, check: UHAS 2023/24 Cut off points. Check here
- Is UHAS a Private Institution? All You Must Know
- KNUST Postgraduate Admission Deadline 2023/2024: Check Now
Other Educational Institutions
Ghana also boasts numerous Nursing and Midwifery Colleges, including Korle-Bu, Keta, Ho, and Koforidua, among others.
Moreover, approximately 46 Colleges of Education dot the landscape, with notable ones including Accra College of Education, Ada College of Education, and Akatsi College of Education.