Anthrax Endemic: One confirmed dead and 85 infested.
Anthrax Endemic: Local officials in Yogyakarta province, Indonesia, reported on Tuesday that one person had died from anthrax infection,
and 85 others were found to be infected after consuming contaminated meat.
Anthrax is a disease that can only be contracted by humans if they come into contact with or consume meat from animals that are infected with the highly contagious and deadly disease.
During a press conference, Dewi Irawati, the Head of the Gunungkidul Regency Health Agency, announced the discovery of anthrax spread in the regency.
This development followed a report from Sardjito Central General Hospital, stating that a 73-year-old resident had passed away on June 4 due to the virus.
Further investigation revealed that the patient had consumed meat from a cow that had died from an illness.
Irawati explained that after the discovery, they found out that the patient had distributed the meat to several other residents in the neighborhood.
The authorities conducted blood tests on 125 individuals, identifying 85 individuals who were infected.
“Most of them exhibited symptoms such as diarrhea, skin sores, and the appearance of small reddish lumps or swelling on their hands.
Fortunately, they are currently undergoing treatment with antibiotics,” stated the official.
Following the discovery, Irawati highlighted that the local authorities promptly designated the nearby area as a red zone for 120 days and advised residents to consume meat only from healthy livestock.
How do people get infected with Anthrax?
Anthrax infection occurs when spores enter the body. Once inside, the spores can become active, allowing the bacteria to multiply, spread throughout the body, release toxins, and cause serious illness.
Transmission can occur through various routes, including inhalation of spores, ingestion of contaminated food or water, or entry of spores through cuts or abrasions in the skin.
How do Animals get infected with Anthrax?
Both domestic and wild animals can contract anthrax by inhaling or ingesting spores present in contaminated soil, plants, or water. Various animals, such as cattle, sheep, goats, antelope, and deer, are susceptible to infection.
In regions where anthrax has occurred in domestic animals previously, regular vaccination is implemented as a preventive measure to minimize outbreaks.
Symptoms of Anthrax
- Chest Discomfort
- Shortness of breath
- Confusion or dizziness
- Fever and chills
- Nausea, vomiting, or stomach pains
- Sweats (often drenching)
- Extreme tiredness
- Body aches
- Swelling can occur around the sore
- A painless skin sore (ulcer) with a black center that appears after the small blisters or bumps
- Most often the sore will be on the face, neck, arms, or hand
- A group of small blisters or bumps that may itch
Anthrax outbreak: Anthrax Outbreak: Confirmed cases with one person reported dead.